The SOM Prize and Travel Fellowship are two annual awards that are administered as a single competition. The awards are given to students and recent graduates of Architecture, Design (including interior design, landscape architecture, environmental graphics or industrial design ) and Urban Design.
- The SOM Prize is a $50,000 research and travel fellowship that enables one outstanding applicant the opportunity to travel in connection with carrying out in-depth research on a subject of their choosing; to meet with other professionals in the field; and to pursue study outside the realm of established patterns.
- A second award, the $20,000 SOM Travel Fellowship, offers an applicant the opportunity to expand their professional education beyond the classroom through the observation of buildings, design, culture and history that can only be achieved through travel.
A group composed of a multi-disciplinary, independent jury of prominent professionals and the SOM Foundation Director selects the two (2) winners.
Each applicant makes one submission consisting of a Portfolio, a Research Proposal and a Travel Itinerary. Applicants will be considered for either award.
View submissions and final reports of past Travel Fellowship recipients.
- Applicants who have received or plan to receive an undergraduate or graduate degree from a U.S. school with an accredited degree program in either Architecture, Design or Urban Design
- Applicants for the 2014 Awards must receive their degree between July 1, 2014 and June 30, 2015.
- U.S. Citizenship is not required.
2015 Competition Details and Deadlines
||Download application & details
|Intent to Apply
||Postmarked by Monday, April 20, 2015
||At the Foundation no later than 5:00 p.m. CDT
Monday, July 20, 2015
||By Friday, July 31, 2015